Pages

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

In the Classroom: August Organization in December

I realize that I am posting about August organization in December...  I tend to be on my own time line on occasion.  But, actually, this fits in a way.  January is a time of new beginnings.  People renew their resolutions, update their goals, and reflect on the year that is gone.  I tend to do the same thing for my classroom organization.

Homework return basket and attendance sticks as students walking the door.  Last year I had supply drawers and book boxes for each student.  

First day packets and "Future Fourth Grader" letters from last year's students.  Letters are full of helpful "tips for success" for my new students from former students...  the experts!


I love late August...  right before the students walk through the door for the first time.  Every shelf organized, every book in its rightful place, every detail PERFECT...  
Reading and study area.  It is great to have table space for students to move to if they need more room to work.  

I love my color scheme here.  This organization didn't last long, but it sure looked lovely.  

...and then the first day of school hits.  
Boxes of tissue, canisters of disinfectant wipes, book bags, crayons, reams of paper, and pencils teeter in piles in every box and flat surface.  Students fill in all those quiet empty spaces.  
The school year has begun.  

So during winter break I stop, take a breath, and take a look at these pictures to remind myself of how it was in the beginning, before the chaos.  I also reflect on what didn't work in my "perfect plan". 

Science table with microscope donated by Donor's Choose donors.  My language arts wall.  I put my anchor charts here, one on top of the other, for students to have access to when needed.  The blue sentence strip holders are for my CCSS "I Can..." Statement strips.  Birthday bags are in the back, up high... pre-made for students because I am awful at remembering birthdays.  


I actually look forward to spending a quiet day or so in my classroom this couple of weeks, just me and my dictionaries, cleaning, organizing, and sorting through piles of papers.  Once again my space will be perfect and welcoming.  

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment